As technology evolves and the world becomes increasingly digital, businesses and entrepreneurs are constantly on the hunt for the next best marketing strategy. But sometimes, in the ever-evolving world of hashtags and algorithms, we forget the age-old power of simply connecting with people.
The Birth of an Idea
The most recurrent challenge I’ve observed among salespeople and entrepreneurs is the struggle to bring new connections into their funnel. The digital marketing realm is brimming with tactics, each more enticing than the last. Yet, there’s a time-proven strategy that many seem to overlook – the power of the referral.
This led me to ponder the potential of a straightforward question: “Who do you know that I should know, and are you willing to introduce me to them?” Borrowing from the concept of the ‘Six Degrees of Separation,’ I embarked on an experiment to discover how swiftly I could grow my relational network and my business using this method.
My Business Landscape
As context, my recent pivot in focus towards sales and sales leadership has indeed brought about a seismic shift in my business revenue this year. Therefore, I’m beginning this journey from a somewhat vulnerable baseline, keen on tracking the growth spurred by this experiment.
I’ve set my eyes on three metrics to measure:
- Number of new contacts met.
- Growth in business revenue.
- New interesting influencers met.
The Rules of Engagement
No game-changing experiment can be successful without a framework. Here are the rules:
Organic growth: I’m stepping into this with an open heart. Judging someone before meeting them is out of the question.
Structured Inquiry: Seven questions will pave our conversation. The first six aim to genuinely connect with the individual, while the seventh pivots towards the essence of my experiment.
- How are you currently making a positive impact on the world around you or working towards doing so?
- Reflecting on your experiences, what valuable lessons have you gained from both successes and setbacks?
- What subjects or skills are you currently focused on learning and developing?
- What mission or goal is currently capturing your primary attention and effort?
- If I had the opportunity to connect you with someone who could contribute to your mission, what kind of individual would be most beneficial for you to meet?
- Is there a specific matter on which I can pray with you?
- Who do you know that I should know and you would be willing to introduce me to them?
Target Audience: I’m primarily seeking introductions to business owners, sales leaders, event planners, or intriguing influencers.
Methodology: Conversations will be facilitated via phone, Zoom, or in person. They’re designed to be short yet impactful, lasting between 20 to 30 minutes.
Economical Interaction: In-person meetings will be casual and modest. There’s no exchange of meals or drinks, further highlighting the importance of the conversation over materialistic exchanges.
In the end, we’re all connected by threads of common experiences, goals, and ambitions. My goal with this experiment is to highlight the age-old power of connection, untainted by judgments and driven by genuine curiosity.
Will relational networking prove to be a formidable contender in the world of digital marketing? Only time will tell, but I’m excited to share this journey with all of you.
Would you be willing to connect with me? If so, who do you know that I should know?